As bandwidths and broadband speeds have rocketed upward over the years, so has the media that people are able to access on their screens. Nowadays, video is all over the internet, with many global tech leaders building their reputation primarily through video media alone. YouTube, TikTok and Instagram all rely on video to help their clients tell stories and keep users coming back for more.
But high quality video files take up space and can be slow to load. This can reduce users’ ability to view them seamlessly and enjoyably on mobile devices. How do content creators and web developers keep files small enough to be accessed easily? This is where the WebM format plays a vital role.
Table of Contents
What is a WebM file?
A WebM file is a video file used and supported by all the major web browsers, including Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and Edge. It offers a more compressed file format than traditional MOV files and is designed to play smoothly and without buffering, so that websites, brands, and homepages can be enhanced without slowing users down.
Any large video file, even in WebM format, can increase a website’s load time and make viewing an unpleasant experience for visitors reliant on more modest broadband speeds. This is why it is sometimes necessary to compress WebM files to a much smaller size, especially if they contain particularly long clips. By reducing the size of a WebM file, you can help ensure website users have as seamless a viewing experience as possible.
What are the benefits of compressing a WebM file?
The key to any successful file compression is being able to reduce the size without sacrificing quality. Compressing WebM files can create a smaller video output which is in turn easier to share, transfer, and host online. A smaller file will also help media load faster for users and stream faster across all devices. This creates a smoother experience for visitors and will help avoid audiences being distracted by slow loading media or vacant, awkward screen space.
Software such as VideoStudio Pro can allow you to compress WebM files without sacrificing the quality of your clips.
How to compress a WebM file
- To start, open VideoStudio Pro.
- Import your WebM file into VideoStudio Pro by selecting the “import from disc or external drive” button on the Capture screen.
- Drag the video onto the timeline in the video layer.
- Navigate to the Share screen.
- Select WEBM from the list of formats.
- Next to Profile you should be presented with a drop-down menu. Here, VideoStudio Pro provides you with a list of premade settings that you can choose from.
- If you want to create your own custom settings, click on the Plus icon and enter the details to create your own custom profile, reducing the size of the file accordingly.
- Select the destination of where you want your new file to end up.
- Finally, hit Start to begin compressing the file.
Compress WebM files to reduce their size
Today, the internet has the capacity to create and host vibrant and dynamic websites, complete with exciting media and movie files. In order to ensure your viewers can access all of this without being slowed down, compressing video files may prove a crucial step in your content creation.
Using software such as VideoStudio Pro can be a great way to reduce the size of your files without cutting the quality of your clips. Download a free trial of VideoStudio Pro today. Faster loading video means a smoother user experience, which makes for happy content viewers and website visitors.