Throughout your journey making videos as a video editor, you will certainly come across AVI files. They are super common, versatile video file types introduced in 1992 by Microsoft, now pretty much a staple in the video world. But what happens if your AVI files are taking up too much space and making your computer slow down? That’s when VideoStudio Pro comes in to help you compress your AVI file into something more manageable.
Table of Contents
What is an AVI file?
AVI stands for Audio Video Interleaved, and is a powerful file type used across both Mac and Windows systems. AVI files are high-quality multimedia files that contain both audio and video, and often much more data than other file types like MOV and MPEG. This makes the file types large.
Many editors enjoy working with AVI because of the high quality of the output. The more data a video file contains, the better quality the result will be and if you are making good content you want your videos to be as high quality as possible.
The drawback of having files that contain a lot of data is that they can be very large, taking up a lot of space on media storage devices like your hard drive. Less powerful computers can also run much slower when working with large video files.
The benefits of compressing an AVI file
When deciding whether or not to compress an AVI file you need to consider what your priorities are. If you have limited space on your hard drive then you might prioritize smaller file sizes. If your computer does not have a very powerful processor then you might prioritize being able to edit quickly and effectively on a budget.
When you compress an AVI file using software like VideoStudio Pro, you significantly reduce the size of the file. The compromise is that you also reduce the quality of the file type, and seasoned professionals will likely be able to tell the difference between video files that have been compressed versus uncompressed files.
But the more compressed a file, the smaller the size and the easier it will be to share files and edit with them. So if you want to compress your AVI files, simply open them up in VideoStudio Pro and compress them in a few clicks.
How to compress an AVI file
- To start, open VideoStudio Pro.
- Import your AVI file into VideoStudio Pro by selecting the “import from disc or external drive” button on the Capture screen.
- Drag the video onto the timeline in the video layer.
- Navigate to the Share screen.
- Select AVI from the list of formats.
- Next to Profile you should be presented with a drop-down menu. Here, VideoStudio Pro provides you with a list of premade settings that you can choose from.
- If you want to create your own custom settings, click on the Plus icon and enter the details to create your own custom profile, reducing the size of the file accordingly.
- Select the destination of where you want your new file to end up.
- Finally, simply hit Start to begin compressing the file.
Compress AVI files to reduce their size
If you want to create high-quality videos, then you will need to work with high-quality video files like AVI files. However, there is a balancing act between quality and ease of use. The higher the quality, the larger the file, which will make it difficult to share and edit with. By compressing AVI files using VideoStudio Pro you will be able to work much more quickly and easily to create your videos. Compress your AVI files by using a free trial of VideoStudio Pro today.